Re: [O] evaluation context in call statements

From: Rick Frankel
Subject: Re: [O] evaluation context in call statements
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:29:27 -0400

Nicolas-

On 2013-06-26 11:13, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

Rick Frankel <address@hidden> writes:

At the time (late 2012) I found Nicolases changes (named results
blocks, attributes and captions on the results block and not the
source, etc) confusing. I still find it odd that you need to evaluate
a source block before you can e.g, add a caption or attributes to the
results (previous behavior was that header arguments on the source
block were used for the results in exporting.)

But you couldn't provide different captions (or attributes) to source
code and results (or no caption/attribute to one of them only).

If you think about it, it's not very odd that captions and attributes
apply to the text located just below, instead of some remote or yet to
be generated piece of text.

I agree now (as i did then), with the functionality and understand why
and how it works, but i still find having to execute a source block
before being able to attribute the results counter-intuitive (as have
others). It's kind of like having to wait for the house to be built
before you can decide/buy the paint to finish it: ) But I also, don't
see any better way to provide the useful functionality of being able
to attribute the code block and results separately --- although in my
normal use cases, i don't usually export both code and results
together.

rick