Re: [O] "Special Properties" when matching for Properties in a search

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] "Special Properties" when matching for Properties in a search
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 18:25:34 -0400

Gustav Wikström <address@hidden> writes:

> When matching for tags and properties using C-c / m there is the
> option to match for Special Properties. Is there a complete list of
> these special properties somewhere?

The section you found in the manual and the value of
org-special-properties would seem the logical places to look for such a
complete list.

However, there are some discrepancies in the two. There seem to be some
"very special" properties that are mentioned in the doc but not in the
variable.

> I was thinking that "7.2 Special Properties" in the manual would be
> that list, but then noticed a property possible to use for searches,
> but not available in that list (the LEVEL-property). Is that property
> just missing from there?

I think so: LEVEL is mentioned in neither place, although it is
mentioned in sec. 10.3.3, "Matching tags and properties, which I presume
is where you found it. It should probably be added to sec. 7.2, and
maybe added to org-special-properties.

Here's my census of special properties from these three places:

* Special properties

| Name         | doc sec. 7.2 | org-special-properties | other places     |
|--------------+--------------+------------------------+------------------|
| ID           | yes          | no                     |                  |
| TODO         | yes          | yes                    | yes (sec 10.3.3) |
| TAGS         | yes          | yes                    |                  |
| ALLTAGS      | yes          | yes                    |                  |
| CATEGORY     | yes          | no                     | yes (sec 10.3.3) |
| PRIORITY     | yes          | yes                    | yes (sec 10.3.3) |
| DEADLINE     | yes          | yes                    | yes (sec 10.3.3) |
| SCHEDULED    | yes          | yes                    | yes (sec 10.3.3) |
| CLOSED       | yes          | yes                    |                  |
| TIMESTAMP    | yes          | yes                    |                  |
| TIMESTAMP_IA | yes          | yes                    |                  |
| CLOCKSUM     | yes          | yes                    |                  |
| CLOCKSUM_T   | yes          | yes                    |                  |
| BLOCKED      | yes          | yes                    |                  |
| ITEM         | yes          | no                     | yes (sec 10.3.3) |
| FILE         | yes          | yes                    |                  |
| LEVEL        | no           | no                     | yes (sec 10.3.3) |

Are there others? Should org-special-properties include them all?

--
Nick