Re: [O] Ordered List (Alphabetical) and HTML Export

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Ordered List (Alphabetical) and HTML Export
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 11:42:32 +0200

Hello,

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Josiah Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I am using orgmode 8.0.3 with emacs 24.3.  I frequently use
>> ordered lists with alphabetical bullets.  I have
>>   (setq org-list-allow-alphabetical t)
>> in my .emacs.
>
> You should be able to export them to <ol type="a"> lists now
> (from the maint branch, which will be the next stable release.)

I don't think this is a good change.

As explained in this thread, alphabetical lists are only a visual clue
(and a bad one, IMO) which have no particular meaning wrt export (Org
only recognizes `ordered', `unordered' and `description' lists). This is
why this "feature" was never implemented in the last exporter.

The OP can probably use CSS to get what he wants without hard coding it
in the back-end.

Moreover, it introduces an incompatibility with `latex' back-end, since
this one won't enforce alphabetical bullets in the same situation.

Therefore, I suggest to revert the patch.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou