Re: [O] advice needed: how do you guys sync org files between devices?

From: Tomas Grigera
Subject: Re: [O] advice needed: how do you guys sync org files between devices?
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 13:25:26 -0300

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Brian van den Broek <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jul 1, 2013 8:26 AM, "Xebar Saram" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have been using dropbox since i started using orgmode a few weeks ago (yeah im a neewb :)), which kinda works but i find it very annoying as it keeps creating conflicted copies, isnt reliable on my Linux main machine etc etc..
>

> I was wondering what you guys do for syncing org files between PC's, Os's, devices (android etc)..
>
> Best
>
> Itai

Hi,

For keeping org files in sync between real computers, version control seems to me the obvious way to go. It gets you sync and history.

There is perhaps a bit of a learning curve, but time spent learning widely useful tools is time well spent :-)

bzr and hg are (superficially?) easier and git is pretty dominant.

For Android, mobile org push to android has worked for me (syncing over SD rather than the cloud or WebDAV). Pulling from Android hasn't been reliable enough for me to use it.

HTH,

Brian vdB

Hi,

To me, a rather reliable way (without version control) has been unison.  Easy to set up and learn, fast.  Only problem is that it doesn't deal well (actually, at all) with merges (i.e. a file that has been modified in both computers).

But I agree with Brian that in the long run, though harder to learn, git is a charm.

Tomas