Re: [O] advice needed: how do you guys sync org files between devices?

From: Myles English
Subject: Re: [O] advice needed: how do you guys sync org files between devices?
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 10:43:45 +0100

Hi,

Rasmus writes:

> Another option is Git Annex.  In my experience, it takes some effort
> to get used to it, but perhaps less so if you're used to git.  One can
> configure it to use regular git for e.g. text files.  It's build with
> Haskell (and success of building it is more or less random), but the
> author now provides binary packages for 32 and 64 bits.

And git-annex is supported by the org attachment features, the author of
git-annex, Joey Hess, has also written a tool called 'mr'.

I sync between computers on a LAN and keep my org files in a git repo,
and the attachment directory, named 'data' by default, is another git
repo.  To sync both of these repos at the same time, they are collected
together in a .mrconfig file like this:

[DEFAULT]
lib =
        syncOrg() {
                git commit -a -m update || true
                git pull pi master
                git push pi master
        }
[org]
update = syncOrg

[org/data]
update = syncOrg

other git repos can be added of course.  These pull and push to/from a
bare repos on a RaspberryPi that is always on.

There are some things that I wish worked better and I feel could be
improved:

1) when you add a repo (e.g. adding an attachment to an attachment will
result in a nested repo because an attachment isn't self-aware) the
corresponding bare repo must be added to the .mrconfig and the RaspPI.

2) git log shows lots of commit messages in the master branch that say

"Merge branch 'master' of pi:org/etc"

or

"update"

and so "Made some really important changes" becomes buried in the log.
I have a feeling that this could be fixed by using a separate branch for
syncing, but there would still be a merge commit message.

Myles