Re: [O] advice needed: how do you guys sync org files between devices?

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [O] advice needed: how do you guys sync org files between devices?
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 09:28:29 +0100

On 01/07/13 13:06, Xebar Saram wrote:
Hi all

I have been using dropbox since i started using orgmode a few weeks ago
(yeah im a neewb :)), which kinda works but i find it very annoying as
it keeps creating conflicted copies, isnt reliable on my Linux main
machine etc etc..

I was wondering what you guys do for syncing org files between PC's,
Os's, devices (android etc)..

I used to use Dropbox and git. However, as you have found I often got "Conflicted Files". This is a particular problem if it happens in your .git folder, because it can lead to a corrupt git repo. Even though I have a remote git repo, this still lead to lots of wasted time trying to sort out the mess.

Recently I have been using BitTorrent Sync from http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html So far this works really well. If you are using Linux you need to do a bit of fiddling to get it to run as your local user, as it doesn't preserve file permissions. So if you are running it as a daemon files at the remote end all get up being owned by root.

The default is for two way synchronization. However, it's easy to set up one way sync. This is useful for backups. If you accidentally made a change in your backup, you wouldn't want it pushed back to your aster version.

I also run a cron job on my laptop, which is my main work machine. Every hour this commits my org files to my git repo and pushes the changes to my remote on a different computer.

Ian.