Re: [O] org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 13:03:01 +0200

Hello Uwe,

On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 10:37:07AM +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> While I would like to have some tags which I could toggle on and off,
> for example in the example of Eric, I would just substitute
> the tag :noexport: for :export:

If you want to use tags, but then say you would prefer not to have
headlines, don't you think it is contradictory?

This kind of expectation has come up again and again over the years in
different forms.  To add meta data to a block of text (which is how I
view tagging, or properties) you either need XML like enclosing tags or
a headline (as Org does), bearing in mind it has to be plain text.  I do
not think there is any other clean way to implement this other than the
way it is presently.

To explain with some examples: Org markup syntax like, *bold*,
/italics/, etc, can be considered XML like enclosing tags (simplified to
a great extent), and tags, properties, TODO keywords, priorities, etc
are examples of the headline based division.

If you or any other user wants this kind of feature, you have to come up
with a syntax that is not intrusive and doesn't break basic Org
features.

Hope this helps you, and future users, better understand the relevant
issues.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu