Re: [O] Cannot convert to Odt

From: Tim Hawes
Subject: Re: [O] Cannot convert to Odt
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:37:54 -0400

Ok, there is a lot going on that I have no explanation for. The document
in question converts just fine on my home laptop with org-version 7.8.11
(or does it? need to go home and check the resulting doc. It does convert, and
libreoffice starts and opens the converted document)

On my work laptop, both the document in question and my small test
document failed with both 7.8.11 and 8.0.5 (from elpa)

I don't know why the minimalistic file was failing. It is working today
(alignment of the planets? phase of the moon? stupid user? <-- I'll
never admit to this)

Since I got the minimalistic file running, I started adding more content
from my original content, piece by piece, until it failed (using
org-mode 8.0.5 from elpa).

These messages should have clued me in originally:
>> sh-syntax-propertize-function: Beginning of buffer
and
>> org-odt-format-source-code-or-example-colored: Symbol's function
The problem was a shell code fragment, the parser did not know what to
do with:
#+BEGIN_SRC sh
  nodaemon)
    nodaemon()
    ;;
#+END_SRC

Just making the code more comprehensible as shell code as thus:

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
case "$1" in
  nodaemon)
    nodaemon()
    ;;
esac
#+END_SRC

or changing the code segment into EXAMPLE instead, fixes it. It converts
under 7.8.11 and 8.0.5

What I am curious about is why doesn't this fail in html or latex
conversion, but even more important, what bone-head thing did I do to
make it work on my home laptop, with an un-corrected version of the same
document (both home and work laptops are getting the file from my
Dropbox folder, so I know it is the same file)

I guess the other question is, what bone-headed thing did I do that
caused the minimalistic file to fail with both versions of org-mode on
my work laptop?

The world may never know...

The important thing is now I am converting this document to odt on the
work laptop. Afterall, the document in question is a work document.