Re: [O] Simplifying the weekly agenda a tiny bit, howto?

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] Simplifying the weekly agenda a tiny bit, howto?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 10:51:29 -0400

Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> writes:

> If it's a regular activity, you can use a repeater in the timestamp, like:

> * Weekly meeting
>   <2013-07-18 Thu 15:00 +1w>

Hi, Richard.  I also noticed I may even write:

  * Weekly meeting <2013-07-18 Thu 15:00 +1w>

and the time stamp gets automatically hidden in the agenda.  Nice! :-)

> For non-regular meetings, I have a capture template that allows me to
> easily enter them;

Same here!

> you can do things like tag all your meetings with a :meeting: or
> :appointment: tag [...]

I tried that too for a long while, tagging meeting and duties according
to where I am, travelling between customers, and later understood that I
could go without tags and still be happy, and even happier.

The real truth is that I'm not much comfortable with the tag approach,
just not in Org context, but in general.  I once (a that has been quite
a long "once") tried Delicious, to found out that proper maintenance of
tags requires a lot of energy when the collection grows significantly.
The feeling of adding a tag and forgetting an item gives an impression
of immediate speed, but one has to pay for it sooner or later, so all
totaled, I now think I'm better to sort out information immediately
where it should land in some hierarchical structure, and learn to do
that efficiently, than to go the tag way.

I do use tags with Org, but in small and specific ways; I try to avoid
them otherwise.

> Hope that's helpful!

Surely.  Exchange of ideas and methods with nice and spekable people is
always helpful, would it be only for the pleasure it gives!

Keep happy!

François