[O] [babel] Table as varaiables a differently proccesed by #+call lines

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: [O] [babel] Table as varaiables a differently proccesed by #+call lines vs. source code blocks
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 13:20:01 +0200

Hi,

I want to summarize the problem I found, using tables as input to source code blocks.
This observation was shared with Rick and I would be glad to help fixing that.

Within the attached file one can see a typical example.

It all comes down to a differently interpretation of tables  with respect to horizontal line.

#+TBLNAME: with-hline
| A | B | C |
|---+---+---|
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| X | Y | Z |

and

#+TBLNAME: without-hline
| A | B | C |
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| X | Y | Z |

will give different results being called by

#+name: python-element
#+begin_src python :var table=with-hline :exports results
  return table[1]
#+end_src

or

#+CALL: python-echo(with-hline)

Please see the attached file for details.

From what I was able to observe:

1. Calling a table with hline, the result of the source code block miss the first row. Indexing is possible only for the second and third row (in the given example)

2. Having no hline, the first row is available, indexing of the first row works too.

Using a Call construct:
1. for a table without hline, indexing works but it does not work for a table with hline.
2. Interestingly, using the CALL functions, the type of both tables in python is list for the entire table, however, indexing a table with hlines, the type becomes NoneType whereas for a table without hline it is still of type list.

Hope that can somehow help to get an idea what is going on.

Greetings

Torsten