Re: [O] using a simple numerical variable in an org text ocument

From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin
Subject: Re: [O] using a simple numerical variable in an org text ocument
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 21:16:26 -0400

Hi,

Thorsten Jolitz writes:

> Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm making a very simple org-document -- a packing list for a trip.
>> It has entries like
>>
>> - 4 mugs
>> - for sleeping bags
>> - 4 thermarest pads
>>

>> I'd like to replace the numbers there by a variable -- so if I make a
>> list for 4 people, the number displayed will be '4'; but if the list
>> is for 2 people, the number displayed will be 2.  Better would be if I
>> could also do simple arithmetic manipulations (x * 6 dinners for a
>> week...).  I there a really simple way to do this? if it's not really
>> easy, it won't really seem worth it, but if it is really easy, I will
>> use it a lot...
>
> Or, if you insist on checkboxes (private conversation), you might put this
> function in your .emacs and run it to replace all numbers (that are either
> factors or totals) with num * people (when people >= 0) or with num / people
> (when people > 0).

If you want to use checkboxes, couldn't you use a babel code block and
then =call= it on each entry?

#+begin_src org
  ,#+MACRO: count call_Sample(x=$1)[:results raw]

  ,* Test
  :PROPERTIES:
  :var:      people=5
  :END:

  - [ ] call_Sample(x=2)[:results raw] socks
  - [ ] call_Sample(x=1)[:results raw] toothbrushes
  - [ ] {{{count(3)}}} shoes

  ,#+name: Sample
  ,#+header: :var x=1 :results raw
  ,#+begin_src emacs-lisp
    (* x people)
  ,#+end_src

  ,#+RESULTS: Sample
  5
#+end_src

You can then wrap it in a macro to avoid having to write out quite as
much per line (as the last entry demonstrates.

Then just adjust the value of the =:var:= property to match how many
people, and your export will provide the correct values

Regards,

--
Jonathan