Re: [O] Yet another literate programming application

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] Yet another literate programming application
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:00:01 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> Very cool, thanks for sharing.  I would note, that one nice thing about
> embedded mode is that there is no need for the #+begin/end_src calc
> blocks, rather the formulas may be placed directly in the Org-mode
> file.

Yes, but I was thinking of exporting the result to something nice, so I
wanted to tell org I was in calc mode. In fact, I'm not sure to like how
calc deals with delimiters: it's not liking the "#+..." if there is no
blank line. I know it's configurable, though.

> Using embedded mode is still fairly awkward for me.  I would benefit
> greatly from some sort of quick reference card explaining the key
> bindings and maybe an easier way to switch to/from embedded mode.

Yes, I basically read through the info page. The useful shortcuts I
picked were:

- C-x * u: update the formula (it's almost C-x * e C-x * e, except it
  will still work if another formula is currently in embedded mode)
- C-x * d: duplicate the formula and enter embedded calc mode
- s = in calc mode: add the nice => thingy

> I'm not clear on how the even/odd example works in calc, could you share
> a link to the specific manual page you're referencing?  I've long felt
> that calc would be a *very* powerful tool, if only I could climb the
> learning curve.

Well, it does not work as such. I don't know how to define mutually
recursive functions in calc, and that was basically my question. (But
then one may then use a real programming language at that point.) The
manual never really defines functions, and it seems that what I want to
do is rewrite things, but I cannot find a way to do it correctly.

Alan