Re: [O] Agenda in the mode-line?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Agenda in the mode-line?
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 01:27:14 -0400

Kyle Sexton <address@hidden> writes:

> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I don't think the feature exists but it should be buildable - although I
>> think it is not exactly simple.
>>
>> It should be easy to write a function that uses the org mapping API to
>> produce a string of the form "[Work: 3/10 Home: 2/20]" and assign it to
>> a variable, say mode-line-org-tasks. The variable can be added to
>> mode-line-format.
>
> That part is beyond my elisp ability, but good to know that the feature
> doesn't currently exist.

Here is an implementation of the above. If you paste the code into a
buffer, change the paths appropriately and M-x eval-buffer, you should
get a mode line with the stats. mode-line-format is buffer-local so you
can get rid of the modified mode-line-format by just killing the buffer.

(defun org-agenda-mode-line (&optional files)
  "Construct a string of the form [<file>:<todo-today>/<todo> ...]
   for all the files in the argument list (or all the agenda files if the
argument is nil)."
  (let ((afiles))
    (setq afiles
          (if (not files)
              (org-agenda-files)
            files))
    (concat "["
            (mapconcat (function org-mode-line-stats) afiles " ")
            "]")))

(defun org-count-todo ()
  "If the current headline is SCHEDULED and its scheduled date is on or before
today
   then count it in todo-today. Count it unconditionally in todo-total."
  (let ((sched (org-entry-get (point) "SCHEDULED")))
    (if (and sched
             (<= (time-to-days (org-time-string-to-time sched)) (org-today)))
        (incf todo-today))
    (incf todo-total)))

(defun org-mode-line-stats (file)
  "Use org-map-entries to step through the TODO headlines. Apply the
org-count-todo
   function on each headline and return a string of the form
<file>:<todo-today>/<todo>."
  (let ((buffer (get-file-buffer file))
        (todo-today 0)
        (todo-total 0))
    (if buffer
        (save-excursion
          (set-buffer buffer)
          ;; do the org mapping API dance
          (org-map-entries
           (function org-count-todo)
           "/+TODO" 'file)))
    (concat (file-name-base file) (format ":%d/%d" todo-today todo-total))))

(setq mode-line-org-agenda-stats (org-agenda-mode-line
'("/home/nick/lib/org/home.org" "/home/nick/lib/org/work.org")))
(nconc mode-line-format '(mode-line-org-agenda-stats))

The code assumes that the relevant files are already visited
(e.g. you've already done C-c a a or M-x org-agenda-list). Otherwise,
get-file-buffer will return nil and the counting will be skipped: you'll
get 0/0 values. Also, what to search for is hardwired but it should be
clear how to change it to use different criteria.

The update problem below is still TBD.

--
Nick