Re: [O] org-open-link-from-string in a program

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] org-open-link-from-string in a program
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 19:04:11 +0800

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
>
>>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>>> (defun org-open-link-from-string (s &optional arg reference-buffer)
>>>   "Open a link in the string S, as if it was in Org-mode."
>>>       [...snip...]
>>>     (org-open-at-point arg reference-buffer)))))
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> ,----------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> `----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Maybe because you call
>>>
>>> ,---------------------------------
>>> `---------------------------------
>>>
>>> without ARG, Emacs is not visiting the file and thus its buffer does not
>>> become current?
>>
>> Huh, interesting -- I had looked at that function, and assumed that the
>> what the arg did was to force a file that might otherwise be opened by
>> an external process to be opened in emacs. I still think that's what it
>> means (and adding a '(4) doesn't solve the problem), but there's other
>> stuff in there that might lead to a solution.
>
> Yes, you are right about the meaning of ARG, I should have looked twice.
>
>>> Anyway, when you're done - please share, this is quite interesting.
>>
>> I will! It's pretty much done, except for this one little bug.
>
> I can imagine that this is very useful for managing phonecalls to be
> made in the future...

Well this will only cover composing and replying to emails, but if you
have a function that automatically makes a phone call, I suppose it
would serve as a template...

Mostly I'm doing it because a full half of my work seems to be replying
to interminable emails, and I wanted something that would keep me in the
agenda as much as possible: hit a key on a TODO, type the email, send
it, and there you are back in the agenda again. It's turning out to be
a little more complicated than I thought!