[O] emphasis and monospace within one word

From: Rob Stewart
Subject: [O] emphasis and monospace within one word
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 14:14:03 +0100

The following:
\texttt{PING}s ~PONG~s, \textbf{Foo}s *Foo*s, \emph{Bar}s /Bar/s.

When exported to latex produces:
\texttt{PING}s \textasciitilde{}PONG\textasciitilde{}s, \textbf{Foo}s
*Foo*s, \emph{Bar}s /Bar/s.

What I'd really like to be able to do in my org mode file is to have
bold, verbatim, or italics substrings within one word. I.e. for the
latex export to look like:

\texttt{PING}s \texttt{PING}s, \textbf{Foo}s \textbf{Foo}s,
\emph{Bar}s  \emph{Bar}s.

Is there a way of coercing org-mode latex export in to playing nicely?

--
Rob