Re: [O] LaTex Adjustments for Org-Export

From: Brian van den Broek
Subject: Re: [O] LaTex Adjustments for Org-Export
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 00:16:21 -0400

On Aug 3, 2013 9:26 PM, "John Hendy" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Brian van den Broek
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 31, 2013 8:28 AM, "Jeff Rush" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm trying to export a .org file to .pdf and although I've gotten past
> >> many formatting hurdles, I am stuck on two problems.
> >>

> > <snip>
> >

> >> 2) How can I change the basic formatting of paragraphs everywhere to
> >>
> >>      a) omit the leading indent, and
> >>      b) have a blank line between paragraphs
> >>
> >>     Instead of this strange-looking style:
> >>
> >>         This is a test paragraph
> >>     of the following kind of thing.
> >>         And so is this one.
> >>
> >>     I want it to look like this:
> >>
> >>     This is a test paragraph
> >>     of the following kind of thing.
> >>       And so is this one.
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > (Catching up on the traffic, so a bit late to the thread.)
> >
> > I don't use org's export facilities, so I am not sure how and where to
> > object this into org's export process. But, the LaTeX way is to use the
> > parskip package.
> >
> > Please do reconsider, though. Just about every book on my shelves follows
> > what you label a 'strange style,' for the good reason that the style you
> > favour can result in ambiguity. (A paragraph that ends a page, takes up the
> > entire last line and is followed by a new paragraph cannot be distinguished
> > from a paragraph that spans the page break.)

<snip>

> That was [mostly] a joke. I'm actually not clear from the text above
> what is desired. The description says "no leading indent and blank
> line between," but the example text shows non-indent on first
> paragraph, indent on second (which would void the page-span concern),
> and no line break...

Indeed it does. I missed that reading on my phone. I don't see how I can blame my strange typo on that though, so perhaps I ought just give up :-)

As I said, I don't export from org to latex, but I am puzzled. The style you describe (and which the OP appears to display) is what LaTeX does for me by default. I know that no leading indent and inter-paragraph separation is a common desire, so I guess I let lazy thinking take over.

> I take it you have literary experience, which I'm glad to have on the
> list. Your comment made me consider that I often fiddle with "what
> seems to look nice," overlooking that some of these things have a very
> specific purpose in terms of avoiding ambiguity or what you described
> -- I'd never have thought of that!

I care about typography and have come to embrace that Knuth, Lamport, and that maintainers of all things TeXnical are rather better at it than am I. It is hard to resist the urge to fiddle, but I try :-)

Best,

Brian vdB