Re: [O] Buffer-specific export filter?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: [O] Buffer-specific export filter?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 01:27:43 +0000 (UTC)

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 1. Is it possible to set filters as buffer local?  Okay the help string
>    says: "This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable.",
>    so I guess the answer is no.
>
> 2. Otherwise you could have used a lisp source block in the buffer.  You
>    could still do that, just add a conditional that checks for the
>    buffer name.  This way modifying a global filter would still affect
>    current buffer export.

I see... that seems awkward. Maybe a valid feature request.

But maybe there's a better solution for my specific case. The problem is
that I'm using the colloquial <<'em>> for "them." The preceding space causes
org to export this as `em. Normally a single quote after a space would
correctly be an opening single quote, but here it's for a contraction and
should be an apostrophe.

Possible solutions:

- Use a LaTeX \specialCharName, if it exists. I couldn't find anything like
this. All the LaTeX documentation says to use '.

- Hacky approach which I tried last night: Define a filter to turn "<>" into
a non-breaking space "~"; then org doesn't treat it as an opening single quote.

- Better approach which I just thought of: Define a filter recognizing
<<'em>> as a special case, which I could also extend for other special cases
later.

Related question: If I wanted to force a non-breaking space in LaTeX export,
how would I do that without a filter? ~ exports, reasonably, as \textasciitilde.

hjh