[O] org-mode upgrade and PDF export

From: adam
Subject: [O] org-mode upgrade and PDF export
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 12:50:09 +1200

The system here is; Ubuntu 12.04LTS, Emacs 23.3.1,
Org-mode version 6.33x

1)
Emacs with Org was recently installed via the Ubuntu Software Centre.
If the Org version here is 6.33x, and Org is now version 8, then I feel
I should upgrade Org.

The Org Manual http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html lists 3
ways to install a new version, but no suggestions how to remove the
older version. I can't find an Org 6.3 package in Synaptic to remove.
That section warns against have two different versions present.

So, I guess it would be best for me to use the first method,
"Downloading Org as an archive", and to simply include its load-path
in my .emacs.

2)
In attempting to publish a sub-section to a PDF, I find I need a
pdflatex component and a texi2dvi script.
This is referred to Section 8 here;
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html

I cannot find pdflatex or texi2dvi in Synaptic, so should I look
via apt-get, or are they part of a larger package available to me?