Re: [O] bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not ope

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:54:13 +0200

On 2.9.2013, at 18:54, Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik writes:
>> OK, we now use xdg-open when available on a Linux system.
>
> The availability of xdg-open has nothing to do with whether or not you
> are running Emacs on a Linux system.  Indeed, even on a system where it
> is available, it won't do anything useful if you're running from a
> console.  While I think it's a good default for someone using a desktop
> that conforms to XDG standards, there should be a check if in fact Emacs
> is running on such a desktop.

Hi Achim,

thanks for this input.  THis makes it more complicated.  Do you know how I
would test this?  I do know about the variable window-system, but that will
also return nil when Emacs is running in an xterm, even though xdg-open would
be working in this case.

Since we are close to a release, maybe I should revert the commit for now and
solve this with more time.

- Carsten