Re: [O] [SYNC] How do you sync your org-mode files between n devices (n

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] [SYNC] How do you sync your org-mode files between n devices (n > 2)
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 13:25:45 +0200

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 12:00:02PM +0200, Alan Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> address@hidden writes:
>
> > I think this would be a wonderful addition to Worg.  Probably the FAQ is
> > more appropriate (under "Tips and Tricks") since this is one of most
> > commonly asked questions on the list.  On the other hand, if you think
> > covering this topic requires more than just a few lines, a longer entry
> > or short article in the config section would be more appropriate.
>
> I can't promise anything, but I can try to write something. What
> external merging tool should I use?

I think the most appropriate tool would be org-merge-driver.  But I'm
not sure how reliable it is.  That said, what might be nicer is if you
treat the external tool bits generically.  Then people can choose their
own tools in the future; also that will probably be less work for you
since you don't have to figure out the details of the external merging
tool yourself.

What I'm after is having all the Unison config bits on Worg, then people
choose how they want to use it:
1. plain sync,
2. sync with merging (with their own choice of tools)

I or someone else could then add the Dropbox like, and "version control
(Git) way" of syncing.  This would then be a fairly complete FAQ on
synchronisation questions.  Does that seem feasible to you?

Thanks a lot,

:)

--
Suvayu