Re: [O] [SYNC] How do you sync your org-mode files between n devices (n

From: Robert Horn
Subject: Re: [O] [SYNC] How do you sync your org-mode files between n devices (n > 2)
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 09:37:53 -0400

Alan Schmitt writes:

> I can't promise anything, but I can try to write something. What
> external merging tool should I use?

There was some work done in a Summer of Code last year or the year
before.  I don't know how much more work remains.  It was an effort for
a delta operator for git.

I use a multi-system git environment, and the one area that is beyond
the git capabilities at present is the following kind of problem:

There is a repeating daily task with a log file.  On machine A, the task
is finished on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  On machine B, the task is
finished on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Git does not understand the task structure, nor does it understand date
oriented logs.  It recognizes that there is a stretch of logfile and
task structure that needs my human intervention and leaves that part for
me to fix.  I have to cut the log entries from machine A version and put them
into the log from machine B version in proper date order.  The last
complete and next lines will come from machine B because they are more
recent.  I understand the date orientation, task structure, etc.  Git
does not.

Proper understanding of things like interleaving date related entries is
a difficult task to get right.  It would be enough to get it 80% right
with 0% improper fixes, and 20% identified for human merging.  But to
reach this level means understanding all the different users of date
tagged lines, entries, headlines, etc. in the org structure.

R Horn