Re: [O] Index of cases

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] Index of cases
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 12:39:30 +0530

> Here are the LaTeX macros that I use.

Seeing a concrete example helps.  Helps avoid speculation.  I don't
understand Latex, so I will speculate ...

> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> Provided the documents are in order, the buyer must pay. This is so
> even if it is known that the goods have been lost at sea. For example,
> in \cdx{Manbre Saccharine Co Ltd v Corn Products Co Ltd}{[1919] 1
>    KB 198} the defendants sold American pearl starch to the plaintiffs
> on CIF London terms.
> #+END_EXAMPLE

Seems like a heretical form of Inline footnotes to me.  I would suggest
that you "fake" a Bibliography entry in a *.bib file and use JabRef to
create your "References" or "Endnotes".

> but I haven't used it with book length writing that requires

You need to just command the machine to do the export :-)

> Obviously would be nice, but I can submit the chapters
> separate from the indexes so it may not be necessary.

As a side-note, I would like to at some point in time add support for
*.odm.

> both approaches would require quite a bit of markup to go back into
> the main part of the manuscript.

A markup is markup.  The markup I suggest is paragraph-oriented - which
Org is good at.  The markup that you have resorted to is
span/inline-style at which Org sucks.

> This is what I'm trying to avoid since the publisher and editors have
> always required Word.

Why get caught in specifics of Markup when all you want is a Word or a
OpenDocument format or even a plain text format.

In the grand scheme of things, insisting plain text or Org or Word
doesn't really matter.  If you want and do get Word, then markup - Org
or otherwise - doesn't matter.

> I have (I think) got them to agree to accept plain text, but I would
> like to make it just as plain as possible.

Oh, Ok.  Looks like there is "exchange of ideas" between the author and
publisher...

> Paragraphs in the text may refer to many cases, so I don't think your
> suggestions will meet that goal.

Seems like Citation or Footnote to me.