Re: [O] mixed orgmode installation

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] mixed orgmode installation
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 10:26:01 -0500

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 09:37:23AM -0500, John Hendy wrote:
>>
>> On that note, is there a recommended "diagnosis" route someone could
>> recommend other than simply `M-x org-version`? Is it possible to get,
>> e.g. 8.0.7, from that command but be pulling from mixed org locations
>> (org shipped with Emacs, and org from tgz or git)? If so, I was
>> unaware, so it'd be great to understand how one can do a full
>> diagnostic.
>
> When in doubt, Worg is always your friend ;):
>
>   <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mixed-install>

I take it I'm a bad friend, as I apparently forget about that one
constantly with this list :)

So... from that page, here are my tools:
- `M-x org-version` : if that lists what you think it should via your
git or snapshot... so far so good

- If `M-x list-load-path-shadows` looks like...???... then you're
good. I'm assuming it should look like this:

#+begin_src list-load-path-shadows

~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/ob-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-latex
~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/ob-scala hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-scala
~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/org-src hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-src
~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/ob-java hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-java

[...]

94 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found

#+end_src

I'm not sure how many there should be, but they all come from from my
git repo and shadow something in my emacs installation. That still
leaves two possibly redundant questions:

- How do I find out what's *not* shadowed?
- How do I find out how many Lisp load-path shadowings there *should
be* with a correct, non-mixed installation?

Then again, is Worg saying that if `M-x org-version` outputs the
"correct" answer... we're all set and there's nothing to worry about?
In other words, it won't output the correct, git-pointing,
version/path unless *everything* provided by the built-in Org has been
replaced by the snapshot/git version?

Thanks,
John