Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 16:23:21 +0200

On 9.9.2013, at 13:32, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 9.9.2013, at 10:38, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> We could have org-ctrldown and friends the same way we have org-shift*
>>> commands.  org-ctrldown would use `org-forward-element' when on some
>>> Org element, and `forward-paragraph' elsewhere.
>
> "elsewhere" doesn't make sense here since point is _always_ on an element
> (except on the first blank lines in a buffer).
>
>>> I acknowledge binding C-down to `org-forward-element' instead of
>>> `forward-paragraph' is a bit disruptive, and maybe not ideal in all
>>> situations.
>>
>> Yes, it produces unexpected results.
>
> I find it pretty predictable. May you elaborate on that?

Hi Nicolas,

It is extremely predictable if you know about the structure of an Org document
and if you think in elements.

It is unexpected for a user who is used to C-arrow doing paragraph motion.  In
Org, org-backward-element climbs out if a hierarchy.  This is not what happens
in other modes with this command.  That is what I mean with unexpected.

Don't get me wrong.  I love the element motion stuff.  But I am satisfied for
it to be available on M-{ and M-}.

I like your proposal to introduce a variable for special src behavior.  I
personally would also like a variable that allows me to keep the paragraph
commands on C-arrow (because I have almost equally convenient bindings with
M-{}) - but maybe that is just me?

Regards

- Carsten