Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 17:41:23 +0200

> It is extremely predictable if you know about the structure of an Org
> document and if you think in elements.

It's a Sexp motion.

> It is unexpected for a user who is used to C-arrow doing paragraph
> motion. In Org, org-backward-element climbs out if a hierarchy. This
> is not what happens in other modes with this command. That is what
> I mean with unexpected.

OK. Do you want it to return an error if there's no element at the same
level above (or below for the forward counterpart)?

> Don't get me wrong. I love the element motion stuff. But I am
> satisfied for it to be available on M-{ and M-}.
>
> I like your proposal to introduce a variable for special src behavior.
> I personally would also like a variable that allows me to keep the
> paragraph commands on C-arrow (because I have almost equally
> convenient bindings with M-{}) - but maybe that is just me?

But `org-forward-element'/`org-backward-element' are the paragraph
commands for Org. Unlike to Text mode, contents in Org have a depth. So
it's not just about stopping at blank lines. Even stopping at blank
lines is not satisfying:

  XParagraph
  | a | table |

  Another paragraph

A decent forward paragraph command should stop at the table here. On the
other hand, it doesn't make much sense to stop at the blank line below:

  X#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  ;; line 1

  ;; line 2
  #+end_src
  Another paragraph

When depth isn't involved, I think that `org-forward-element' is as good
as it can get as a paragraph motion command, and far better than
`forward-paragraph' from "paragraphs.el".

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou