Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:47:37 +0200

Hi Jambu,

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 02:58:02PM +0530, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

> >> The decision should be based on what the user would do after doing a
> >> C-down and C-up.
> >>
> >> If *you* use C-down and C-up for persusal (as yourself say), I don't
> >> think you will use C-k immediately.  I sense that you are not
> >> representing yourself in a consistent way.
> >
> > I don't think regular `forward-paragraph' cares about what the user do
> > with it. It puts point at beginning of lines and that's it.
>
> I am provoking Suvayu to defend himself, if that's not already clear to
> you :-).

You are right I was not being consistent.  On some thought, I still
think column 0 is good.  I care about the column only when I'm editing.
And it is a "surprise" only after the first C-<down>, for subsequent
uses my eyes get used to it.  Actually I think the only time I want the
cursor to retain its relative position is when I'm transposing
lines/paragraphs/list items/etc.

> > `org-forward-linear-element' exists because some users want C-down with
> > a more intense `forward-paragraph' flavour.
>
> Let me provoke you a bit :-).
>
> What is the difference between forward and linear.
>
> Is it linear only because it stays in column 0 always?
>
>  OR
>
> Is it linear because it is monotonic in how the cursor moves.

I would say it is linear because it doesn't respect the element tree.

> If you side with latter explanation, then I would argue that this notion
> of linearity is no different from what is implied by forward.
>
> Btw, I have no issues if you don't want to support
> `org-forward-nonlinear-element'.  Yes, if the command does M-m
> automatically at end, the cursor position will become curvilinear.

Very funny :)

Cheers,

--
Suvayu