Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:58:02 +0530

> Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

>>> On reading Nicolas's explanation, I agree too.  This is better.
>>
>> The decision should be based on what the user would do after doing a
>> C-down and C-up.
>>
>> If *you* use C-down and C-up for persusal (as yourself say), I don't
>> think you will use C-k immediately.  I sense that you are not
>> representing yourself in a consistent way.
>
> I don't think regular `forward-paragraph' cares about what the user do
> with it. It puts point at beginning of lines and that's it.

I am provoking Suvayu to defend himself, if that's not already clear to
you :-).

> `org-forward-linear-element' exists because some users want C-down with
> a more intense `forward-paragraph' flavour.

Let me provoke you a bit :-).

What is the difference between forward and linear.

Is it linear only because it stays in column 0 always?

 OR

Is it linear because it is monotonic in how the cursor moves.

If you side with latter explanation, then I would argue that this notion
of linearity is no different from what is implied by forward.

Btw, I have no issues if you don't want to support
`org-forward-nonlinear-element'.  Yes, if the command does M-m
automatically at end, the cursor position will become curvilinear.