Re: [O] Contributing Without Patches ...

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Contributing Without Patches ...
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 20:12:57 +0200

Suvayu Ali writes:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 09:45:47AM -0600, Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Pull requests are a github thing, not a git thing.
>
> Well actually I think it is a Git thing.  I believe it just says: my
> changes are in the public branch <some_url>, kindly pull from there;
> eliminating the need to attach patches.  As an added advantage, it
> preserves the commit hashes and many other committer/author information.

That requires that the repository in question is configured as a remote,
so you aren't usually in a position to tell upstream to pull from your
repository (it only ever gets pushed to).  The "Github thing" with the
pull request is that you can make a feature branch to any repo and then
ask the maintainer to pull from there, which merges your changes.

There is no author information lost when you send patches as long as
they are created by format-patch.  As with any rebase, the history is
thrown away, but that is mostly a good thing for patches.

> As far as I have seen, many projects work this way: Linux kernel, Git.

Linux kernel works via mail, just like Orgmode.

Regards,
Achim.