Re: [O] [export] Easy way to make children of Beamer frames generate lis

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] [export] Easy way to make children of Beamer frames generate list items?
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 21:49:18 -0500

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM, James Harkins <address@hidden> wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I think it is unwise to keep coming up with ways to support semantically
>> wrong behaviour just for the sake of backwards compatibility.  This was
>> changed with good reason and after a lot of discussions.  If you
>> continue on this path, you will have to keep maintaining this yourself
>> for all eternity (sorry about the hyperbole :-p).  It's a lot of work
>> for a long time just to avoid some annoying work now.

I mostly agree, but as others are noting some of us had months and
months worth of presentations in the old format, so it's not always
trivial to update and old .org file and re-export. I don't think we
need to semantically (or syntactically?) support the old behavior (I
wouldn't say wrong), but it's worth coming up with solutions for those
who especially aren't using git or quasi-frequent snapshots.

Keep in mind that a majority of users may very well be using
distro-specific releases. I have no idea how, say, Ubuntu's releases
compare to Org's.

In any case, I'm mostly in agreement that Org's changed and thus the
file structure should change... but not all of us use the git and/or
snapshot Org version with regular frequency and thus I expect a fair
amount of trickling in of users surprised at the incompatibility.

John