Re: [O] [export] Easy way to make children of Beamer frames generate lis

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] [export] Easy way to make children of Beamer frames generate list items?
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 09:48:54 -0500

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 5:57 AM, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 09:49:18PM -0500, John Hendy wrote:
>>
>> In any case, I'm mostly in agreement that Org's changed and thus the
>> file structure should change... but not all of us use the git and/or
>> snapshot Org version with regular frequency and thus I expect a fair
>> amount of trickling in of users surprised at the incompatibility.
>
> As I outlined towards the end of my earlier message, it is not possible
> (at least easily with some config magic) to get back the old behaviour
> with the new exporter.  Maybe then we should have an FAQ stating so and
> outlining how one could make the format switch (again, a possible path
> provided in my previous message).

My response was geared toward "Is there a handy workaround in the mean
time so that Christoph can get quicker access to his materials" than
"Can we program Org-mode to handle all legacy forms of input to the
exporter." Sorry if it seemed that I was requesting an "official" fix.
It was more of a prompt for someone clever with LaTeX and/or the new
exporter guts to possibly give him some magic to convert lower
headlines to list while he changes over vs. simply saying, "No. You
can't do that."

Now I understand it really just isn't possible at all, and that's a
good answer to have as well :)

> Do you think that would be a good idea?  If so, I'll add a short FAQ
> with a pointer to this thread for now.  We can clean it up later.

I'm not sure on this. I was thinking about your answer some more, and
perhaps I'm trying to be empathetic with those who aren't subscribed
to the mailing list and thus weren't submerged in constant discussions
about the new exporter, opportunities to try it on an experimental
branch, tons of warnings that "it's coming," and so on. Then again, I
countered myself with realizing that it's not like extreme computer
novices are installing this on a daily basis -- each of us probably
had to stumble on it when looking for outlining program alternatives,
either already knew or endured Emacs to use Org (like me), and are
aware of things like mailing lists and StackOverflow.

So... maybe my concern is unfounded. Org users are most likely more
familiar than many with reading manuals/help files, seeking help, etc.
I think there's a decent amount out there about the new exporter, but
it can seem a bit scattered between the manual and Worg. When I wanted
to constantly refer back to the upgrade instructions page that
Bastien/Nicolas created, I was constantly googling "upgrade Org 8.0."
At the time, I don't think it worked with just "upgrade" and no
version. So things like that make me wonder how easy it is to find
these things without sort of knowing where they are.

Alright -- enough wind out of me. All that said, yes, more info and
references/links can't hurt. That's probably the most helpful thing
for newcomers/non-mailing-list people -- something smack-dab on the
Org-mode webpage about FAQs or troubleshooting.

Thanks for the explanations and dialog!
John