Re: [O] bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not ope

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 22:21:34 +0200

Hi,

Some comments and a question.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:42:50PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:34:34PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> >
> > On 17.9.2013, at 15:56, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > I see the same problem.  But I think this might be an Emacs issue; I
> > > can't open a pdf from dired either (with & on a pdf file).  However I
> > > can open it if I execute a shell command: M-! xdg-open file.pdf RET.
>
> It's strange though.  I'll try to investigate.

I can consistently repeat this outside of Org.  I am trying with
`dired-do-shell-command'.

Steps:
1) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open" nil '("file.pdf")), the script
   runs and opens the pdf file.
2) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open &" nil '("file.pdf")), this runs
   the script too but the pdf is not opened.

(I know the scripts run because I turned on debugging in the scripts)

I'm assuming Org opens it asynchronously.  What lisp function does Org
use?  A weekly related issue: when following links to pdf files, I have
the same problem.  When following https links I have no issues, they
open in my web browser as expected.  Does org use a similar mechanism
when following links?

Any thoughts?

--
Suvayu