Re: [O] bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not ope

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 23:25:57 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:31:41PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On 17.9.2013, at 22:21, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I can consistently repeat this outside of Org.  I am trying with
> > `dired-do-shell-command'.
> >
> > Steps:
> > 1) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open" nil '("file.pdf")), the script
> >   runs and opens the pdf file.
> > 2) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open &" nil '("file.pdf")), this runs
> >   the script too but the pdf is not opened.
> >
> > (I know the scripts run because I turned on debugging in the scripts)
> >
> > I'm assuming Org opens it asynchronously.  What lisp function does Org
> > use?
>
> Org used start-process-shell-command, and this happens in
> org-open-file, which is called for links to a file in org-open-at-point.

I need some feedback from users using different desktop environments.
What DEs do you use, Matt, Glyn?

I am on XFCE.  For me xdg-open calls the internal function (defined in
the script), open_xfce.  Inside that function, exo-open is called.  This
is XFCE specific.  When I replace exo-open with say, evince, and open a
pdf file; start-process-shell-command works; with exo-open it doesn't.
I can repeat this for html files with Firefox.

I would like to know if other desktop environments has the same issue:
kde-open (KDE) and gvfs-open (Gnome, Mate, etc).  So to test, just open
a directory with pdf/odt/html files in dired and run either of them
asynchronously with &.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu