Re: [O] bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not ope

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [O] bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:10:02 -0400

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:31:41PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> On 17.9.2013, at 22:21, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > I can consistently repeat this outside of Org.  I am trying with
>> > `dired-do-shell-command'.
>> >
>> > Steps:
>> > 1) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open" nil '("file.pdf")), the script
>> >   runs and opens the pdf file.
>> > 2) (dired-do-shell-command "xdg-open &" nil '("file.pdf")), this runs
>> >   the script too but the pdf is not opened.
>> >
>> > (I know the scripts run because I turned on debugging in the scripts)
>> >
>> > I'm assuming Org opens it asynchronously.  What lisp function does Org
>> > use?
>>
>> Org used start-process-shell-command, and this happens in
>> org-open-file, which is called for links to a file in org-open-at-point.
>
> I need some feedback from users using different desktop environments.
> What DEs do you use, Matt, Glyn?
>
> I am on XFCE.  For me xdg-open calls the internal function (defined in
> the script), open_xfce.  Inside that function, exo-open is called.  This
> is XFCE specific.  When I replace exo-open with say, evince, and open a
> pdf file; start-process-shell-command works; with exo-open it doesn't.
> I can repeat this for html files with Firefox.
>
> I would like to know if other desktop environments has the same issue:
> kde-open (KDE) and gvfs-open (Gnome, Mate, etc).  So to test, just open
> a directory with pdf/odt/html files in dired and run either of them
> asynchronously with &.

I'm running unity in Ubuntu 13.04, which still is sorta descended from
gnome.  Neither xdg-open nor gnome-open seems to work (if I'm doing
this right in dired: navigate to a pdf/html file, type &, enter
xdg-open).

I have the feeling the problem is in emacs, org-open-file, or their
interaction.  It's definitely not in xdg-open/gnome-open themselves,
as they work fine from the command-line with M-! .

thanks guys,
Matt