Re: [O] bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not ope

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 08:51:02 +0200

Hi,

I think I have tracked down the issue.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 06:10:02PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to know if other desktop environments has the same issue:
> > kde-open (KDE) and gvfs-open (Gnome, Mate, etc).  So to test, just open
> > a directory with pdf/odt/html files in dired and run either of them
> > asynchronously with &.
>
> I'm running unity in Ubuntu 13.04, which still is sorta descended from
> gnome.  Neither xdg-open nor gnome-open seems to work (if I'm doing
> this right in dired: navigate to a pdf/html file, type &, enter
> xdg-open).
>
> I have the feeling the problem is in emacs, org-open-file, or their
> interaction.  It's definitely not in xdg-open/gnome-open themselves,
> as they work fine from the command-line with M-! .

Unfortunately this is a problem with most of the desktop specific *-open
commands.  Take a look at this post from emacs-devel (thanks to Glenn
for pointing me to it):

  <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-07/msg00279.html>

Essentially, running xdg-open asynchronously will not work for Desktop
Environments that use gvfs-open (Gnome, Unity, Mate, etc).  From the
looks of it, exo-open (XFCE) also suffers from the same problem.

That said, it would be nice if Glyn could try it on KDE for the sake of
completeness.  As per the emacs-devel post, kde-open should work.

Conclusion: it would have been nice, but we can't use xdg-open.  This
feels somewhat like the texi2dvi issue.  :-/

Cheers,

--
Suvayu