Re: [O] SUMMARY: [Feature Request] Make property-drawers exportable

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] SUMMARY: [Feature Request] Make property-drawers exportable
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:33:17 +0200

OK,

now that I have made a fool out of myself, I think I understand now how
things work, and what I did not understand correctly in the
discussion so far.

1. I misunderstood that drawers could not be exported in
   general with the new exporter.   This is wrong, drawers are
   exported just fine as long as org-export-with-drawers
   is t or contains a list of drawer names that should be
   exported.  The reason why I misunderstood was a bug in my test
   file where I have #+OPTIONS: d:(LOGBOOK) instead of d:("LOGBOOK")

2. If a drawer is selected for export, it will be exported as if it
   was part of the Org file.

3. The only exception to this rule are property drawers, which will
   currently not be exported by any of the backends.  Nicolas
   proposed to define a derived backend that does export the property
   drawer, or he proposed to use macros to extract specific properties
   to include into the exported file.  Both are viable options.

I think this is all well and fine and very well argued.

One possible remaining option would be to introduce user variables
org-BACKEND-format-property-drawer-function in analogy
org-BACKEND-format-drawer-function.  This would provide an easy way
to configure export of the property drawer as a whole, in a way
that could be file-local.

I would like to have this option.  Nicolas, would you agree to a patch
in this direction?

- Carsten