Re: [O] [BUG] in Release 8.2 - editing code in indirect buffer

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] in Release 8.2 - editing code in indirect buffer
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 16:00:39 +0200

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

>>> This is very complicated, because such functionality needs
>>> the entire environment of a mode.  I think there are some solutions
>>> which allow multiple major modes - but I don't think we will go
>>> there with Org.
>>
>> This is definitely not an easy task, but which I think would be an very
>> useful feature, making the work-flow of using embedded code much faster.
>>

> I don't think this is an attainable goal.  Major modes assume that they
> are the sole owners of the current buffer and of the related state.
> Breaking this assumption would open a deep can of major-mode-specific
> problems which would each require major-mode-specific solutions.

I agree that sounds quite difficult, especially as it would involve
quite a number of different modes when different languages are used.

> The only solution I see would be to somehow give each code block it's
> own buffer, and then trick Emacs into treating multiple buffers as a
> single buffer for purposes of display and cursor movement.  If someone
> wanted to develop such functionality I think it would best be done
> independent of Org-mode.

Keep in mind my very limited emacs knowledge - but wouldn't it be
possible to switch between modes depending where the cursor is?
This would mean the buffer is in R-mode, when the cursor is in a R code
block, and in org-mode, when the cursor is outside. One could even
enable minor-org-mode to keep some functionality n the code blocks?

I know this would not be ideal, but wouldn't that be possible?

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

> Best,
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>