Re: [O] Org mode issue tracker

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Org mode issue tracker
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 02:21:56 +0200

Hello Michael,

This is the general structure I'm proposing:

  * TODO Subject <timestamp>             :emacs_ver:org_ver:org_module:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :DEBGUGS_ID:  <bug number>
    :REPORTER:    <Reporter Name>
    :CC_EMAIL:    <list of emails of interested parties>
    :END:

I elaborate the ideas below.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 08:56:50PM +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Let's check it with an example. For bug 15081, debbugs-gnu returns the
> following list:
>
> ((source . "unknown")
>  (found_versions "24.3")

Emacs version ends up as a tag:

* TODO  .....                                   :24.3:

>  (done)
>  (blocks)
>  (date . 1376383861)

* TODO  .....                                   :24.3:
  <2013-08-13 Tue>

>  (fixed)
>  (fixed_versions)
>  (mergedwith)
>  (found
>   (item
>    (key . 24.3)
>    (value)))
>  (unarchived)
>  (blockedby)
>  (keywords)
>  (summary)
>  (msgid . "<address@hidden>")

An added bonus idea: Gmane has this amazing feature where you can link
to a message using it's message id.  So a property like: GMANE_URL would
be awesome.

* TODO  .....                                   :24.3:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :GMANE_URL:    http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
  :END:
  <2013-08-13 Tue>

>  (id . 15081)

* TODO  .....                                   :24.3:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :DEBGUGS_ID:  15081
  :GMANE_URL:    http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
  :END:
  <2013-08-13 Tue>

It would be cool if you could provide a function that uses browse-url to
direct you to the webpage using DEBGUGS_ID:

  <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15081>

>  (forwarded)
>  (severity . "normal")
>  (owner)
>  (log_modified . 1376383862)
>  (location . "db-h")
>  (subject . "24.3; org-crypt: Making epg-context local to  *epg* while
> let-bound!")

* TODO Making epg-context local to  *epg* while let-bound!     :24.3:org_crypt:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :DEBGUGS_ID:   15081
  :GMANE_URL:    http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
  :END:
  <2013-08-13 Tue>

As you see above, it would be great if we could simplify the suject and
tag the org-module involved (note hyphens are not allowed, they need to
be transformed to underscore).

  :REPORTER:     Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden>
  :GMANE_URL:    http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
  :END:
  <2013-08-13 Tue>

>  (last_modified . 1376408720)

Maybe this should go into a property called: LAST_MODIFIED.

>  (pending . "pending")

And this should finally decide the TODO state.  For the moment a
reasonable mapping would be "pending" -> "TODO".  But would be good to
have support for "DONE", "WIP", or similar (I'm not familiar with all
the debbug states :-p)

>  (affects)
>  (archived)
>  (tags)
>  (package "emacs" "org-mode")

I guess this is how you filter out org-mode bugs from the rest.

>  (fixed_date)
>  (found_date)
>  (bug_num . 15081))
>
> The keys shall be self-explaining. How would a TODO item look like?
> Note, that these metadata do not contain the corresponding messages
> yet. debbugs-gnu could retrieve them in a second run; the TODO item
> shall offer a link to them, inline.

So finally I propose the following for this particular bug.

* TODO Making epg-context local to  *epg* while let-bound!     :24.3:org_crypt:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :DEBGUGS_ID:   15081
  :REPORTER:     Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden>
  :GMANE_URL:    http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
  :END:
 152 <2013-08-13 Tue>

However in this example there were no "interested parties".  If you take
this (non org-mode) bug as an example:

  <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15282>,

the CC_EMAIL property would be: "Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, Gregor
Zattler <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>, Paul Eggert
<address@hidden>", and all the contributors to bug 15222 (that would
be me :-p, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden>).

What do others think?  Is it a good start?  Overall this looks very
promising, I am excited :).

Cheers,

--
Suvayu