Re: [O] Org mode issue tracker

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [O] Org mode issue tracker
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:34:31 +0200

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/address@hidden>
writes:

Hi Sebastien and Suvayu,

Thanks a lot for your comments. That's pretty good for starting a
proof-of-concept. Will do.

Some comments from my side:

>>> ((source . "unknown")
>>>  (found_versions "24.3")
>>
>> Emacs version ends up as a tag:
>>
>> * TODO  .....                                   :24.3:

found_versions is optional. So we cannot assume it is always
set. Furthermore, it is a *list* of strings (although I haven't seen
ever more than one entry). What to do in this case?

>>>  (msgid . "<address@hidden>")
>>
>> An added bonus idea: Gmane has this amazing feature where you can link
>> to a message using it's message id.  So a property like: GMANE_URL would
>> be awesome.
>>
>> * TODO  .....                                   :24.3:
>>   :PROPERTIES:
>>   :GMANE_URL:
>> http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
>>   :END:
>>   <2013-08-13 Tue>

Agreed. However, debbugs.el is also capable to retrieve all messages
from the server, as we do in debbugs-gnu. I'll show below.

>>>  (severity . "normal")

I would really appreciate, if we could make the severity visible. In the
org manual, I've read something about A B C priorities. On debbugs, we
have the severities "serious", "important", "normal", "minor",
"wishlist", and "tagged". How could we map them on the TODO items? In
debbugs-gnu we use different faces (colors) for the entries.

>>>  (subject . "24.3; org-crypt: Making epg-context local to *epg* while
>>> let-bound!")
>>
>> * TODO Making epg-context local to *epg* while let-bound! :24.3:org_crypt:
>>   :PROPERTIES:
>>   :DEBGUGS_ID:   15081
>>   :GMANE_URL:
>> http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
>>   :END:
>>   <2013-08-13 Tue>
>>
>> As you see above, it would be great if we could simplify the suject and
>> tag the org-module involved (note hyphens are not allowed, they need to
>> be transformed to underscore).

OK. However, we cannot assume a given syntax on the subject. An error
can be reported by a simple mail to @debbugs.gnu.org, with free
subject. A preformatted subject can be assumed only, if the error has
been reported by `report-emacs-bug' or `org-submit-bug-report'.

>>>  (pending . "pending")
>>
>> And this should finally decide the TODO state.  For the moment a
>> reasonable mapping would be "pending" -> "TODO".  But would be good to
>> have support for "DONE", "WIP", or similar (I'm not familiar with all
>> the debbug states :-p)

The pending field could have the values "pending", "forwarded" or
"done". "forwarded" does not seem to be used on debbugs.gnu.org.

>>>  (tags)

Tags are useful for more information on the status. They are a list of
strings like "fixed", "notabug", "wontfix", "unreproducible",
"moreinfo" or "patch". In the given example, this list is empty.

>>>  (package "emacs" "org-mode")
>>
>> I guess this is how you filter out org-mode bugs from the rest.

Yep. In the org-mode case, it is sufficient to filter for the package
"org-mode". But why not create a todo list for another debbugs project,
like "emacs" or "gnus" or whatever? And btw, one could filter also for
other attributes but just package. Even full text search is possible.

>> * TODO Making epg-context local to  *epg* while let-bound!
>> :24.3:org_crypt:
>>   :PROPERTIES:
>>   :DEBGUGS_ID:   15081
>>   :REPORTER:     Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden>
>>   :GMANE_URL:    http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden
>>   :END:

Yep.

Now it comes to the attached emails. In a second (!) step, debbugs-gnu
is able to retrieve the corresponding emails. In the given example, it
would call (debbugs-get-bug-log 15081) This returns a list like

(((body . "The body of the message")
  (msg_num . 5)
  (attachments)
  (header . "All header lines of the message")))

I have just shown one message, of course all messages will be
retrieved. Alternative, one could retrieve the messages in MBOX format.

Wouldn't it be nice, if we could include the messages as well? Likely
not by default (it would be expensive to download all messages for,
let's say, 500 bugs at once). But we could add a kind of link which,
when followed, could show the messages as well in org-mode. Somehow.

> Best regards,
>   Seb

Best regards, Michael.