[O] Special characters in tables (iso-latin-1 or utf-8)

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: [O] Special characters in tables (iso-latin-1 or utf-8)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:21:58 +0300

Greetings.

A lot of my tables contain special characters (such as ä and ö) because
those are used in Finnish names. These are now causing problems for me
in table formulas.

Can someone tell me how to fix the table below so that the formula will
work?

* testing table
| string | same string |
| abc    | abc         |
| smörre | #ERROR      |
#+TBLFM: $2=$1

When I open a new org-file and type special characters in it, the
default encoding seems to be iso-latin-1; changing this to utf-8 has not
helped.

All the best,

Jarmo