Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 18:14:11 +0100

On 28/09/13 07:11, Carsten Dominik wrote:

Can we have a discussion here on how this path should look like?
When you came to Org-mode as a newby, what were the three resources
that really made an impression on by being accessible and
providing feel and promise for digging deeper?

- Carsten

I think we need to try and identify why most new users come to org-mode. This might give a better idea of how to re-organize things.

I am guessing that initially many users are attracted by the task management and outlining features. From these basic features flow things such as publishing, clocking, Babel. So maybe listing Tutorials in this order would be a start.

Personally if I am learning something new I want a broad overview of the main features, with links to places where I can find more detail.

For example David O'Toole's and Sacha's tutorials cover this very well. The videos are an excellent resource, but require the user to set aside 30-60mins in one block of time. People are more likely to watch them if their initial interest has been piqued by something they can read and digest in small blocks.

Ian.