[O] list items not treated as such.

From: Paul Rudin
Subject: [O] list items not treated as such.
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 19:40:21 +0100

Example:

1. Some text that extends over more than one line, I'm not sure if the exact
   length is relevant.
   a) stuff; and then
   b) this item will not be recognised as a list item, which can be a bit of a
   pain, so if you're typing with auto-fill on it will be formatted like this,
   but really the second line should align underneath the text of the start of
   the item.

Is this working as intended? It seems wrong to me - if I type item b)
above it surely should fill properly?