Re: [O] org-table-duplicate-column

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] org-table-duplicate-column
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:36 +0200

* Michael Brand <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Karl

Hi Michael!

> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:
>> | *Option* | *Evaluation 123* | *Evaluation 234* |
>> |----------+------------------+------------------|
>> | Option 1 |               27 |               26 |
>> | Option 2 |               22 |               24 |
>> | Option 3 |               16 |               16 |
>> | Option 4 |               16 |             13.5 |
>> | Option 5 |                8 |                9 |
>> | Option 6 |                2 |                4 |
>> |----------+------------------+------------------|
>> |          |               91 |             92.5 |
>> #+TBLFM: @8$2=vsum(@address@hidden)::@8$3=vsum(@address@hidden)
>
> I would use
>
> #+TBLFM: @>$<<..@>$> = vsum(@address@hidden)
> or the shorter
> #+TBLFM: @>$<<..@>$> = vsum(@address@hidden)

Never used this kind of reference yet.

What about alternating data (no summary value at bottom row) and
evaluation columns?

| Data 1 | Eval 1 | Data 2 | Eval 2 |

What about moving columns:

Switching two columns from:
| Eval 1 | Eval 2 | foo | bar |
to:
| Eval 1 | foo | Eval 2 | bar |

("foo" and "bar" do not have those formula fields like Eval columns)

Besides the fact that I personally prefer single column
formulas for legibility and maintainability. I had to spend a minute
to understand "@>$<<..@>$> = vsum(@address@hidden)" and I am afraid that I
have to re-spend this minute in three weeks when I have to add data
to the table.

So, yes you clearly helped with the example I posted. However, I
have got the feeling that this method is not able to solve my issue
in all cases. I still tend to think that org-table-duplicate-column
would be handy in many cases.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github