Re: [O] How to install recent documentation of org 8.2?

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] How to install recent documentation of org 8.2?
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 14:09:30 +0200

M <address@hidden> writes:

> thanks a lot!
> I found the old versions of the org documentation in the same path
> /usr/share/info and replaced them by the new org file from the doc
> directory.

Also Mac, but using emacs from homebrew

,----
| GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1187.39) of
2013-09-05 on Rainers-MacBook-Pro.local
`----

I followed this with interest, as I have the same problem. Replacing the
file with a link, worked for the help via the org-mode menu, but I can't
find it in the top level of the info files. Is there anything I have to
do in addition?

My Info-directory-list is as follow:
,----
| ("/Users/rainerkrug/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.87"
"/Users/rainerkrug/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20130902.311"
"/Users/rainerkrug/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20130902.1802" "/usr/local/info/"
"/usr/share/info/")
`----

and I have the org info file in /usr/local/info :

,----
| $ ls /usr/share/info/or*
| /usr/share/info/org           /usr/share/info/org-1.bak
/usr/share/info/org-2.bak       /usr/share/info/org.bak
`----

Even before putting the link in, the org info was not in the top level
info.

Any suggestions? As far as I though, info would scan the directories to
generate the info tree?

> Sure, when installing the next version I'll have to think of that, but at
> least now it works.

I have a link in my .emacs.d (named org-mode) which I link to the latest
version in separate directories (org-VERSIONNUMBER ang org-git). So I
can easily switch, and the link would stay there.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Martin
>

>> Von: Christoph LANGE <address@hidden>
>> Datum: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 11:46:39 +0100
>> An: M <address@hidden>
>> Betreff: Re: [O] How to install recent documentation of org 8.2?

>>> I tried to load the recent documentation with a link to the "doc" directory
>>> in my org-mode 8.2 (expanded contents from git repository) in my .emacs.
>>>
>>> (add-to-list 'Info-additional-directory-list
>>>              (expand-file-name "~/mypath/org-mode/org_current/doc"))
>>>
>>> But this does have no effect. With C-h i, I get displayed a an outdated
>>> org-manual.
>>
>> The following worked for me, however in a different environment (Gentoo
>> Linux with org-mode 8.2 installed via the package manager).  My Org 8.2
>> info file ended up in /usr/share/info/org, whereas the one packaged by
>> Emacs is in /usr/share/info/emacs-24.  I couldn't get the directory
>> settings in Emacs right, but the following worked:
>>
>> I created my own info directory and prepended it to the INFOPATH
>> environment variable:
>>
>> export INFOPATH="$HOME/.emacs.d/info:$INFOPATH"
>>
>> In this directory, I created a symlink to the Org 8.2 info:
>>
>> $ ls -l ~/.emacs.d/info
>> total 0
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 clange clange 19 Sep 14 15:20 org -> /usr/share/info/org
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Christoph
>>
>> --
>> Christoph Lange, School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham
>> http://cs.bham.ac.uk/~langec/, Skype duke4701
>>
>> → Mathematics in Computer Science Special Issue on “Enabling Domain
>>   Experts to use Formalised Reasoning”; submission until 31 October.
>>   http://cs.bham.ac.uk/research/projects/formare/pubs/mcs-doform/

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

--
Rainer M. Krug