[O] org-mode based groupware wiki

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: [O] org-mode based groupware wiki
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 13:57:31 +0200

Hi,
recently I discovered gollumn [1] and was amazed to see that there is a software which allows non-orgers to work with / read my org-files and which even use git as the backend to get all save and nice together, even if working concurrently on the same files.

I was wondering, because I never read about gollum in this ML and my search only revealed a very short three year old thread between Bastien and Eric Schulte. Despite that many of us was asking of possible ways how to use org as a groupware like environment. I guess this topic was discussed even more frequently over the last three years.
Unfortunately, the main drawback, the usage of org-ruby [2] as org-mode parser still remains. I frighten that org-ruby only works on a small subset of the org-mode syntax and that even this might be a bit out-of-date. As far as I understood, org-mode in the meantime switched to a new exporter [3] and we got org-elements [4] and a heavy work towards standardization thanks to Nicolas Goaziou.

What would be the best way to get the best out of the gollum idea and the new org-mode capabilities?

- Skip gollumn and use (an updated) blorgit [5] (Does it have editor functionality?) ?
- Enhance org-ruby?
- Write a small script which creates a native html export from org-mode and hook this into gollumn? However, that would require emacs and org-mode being installed on the server side.

For me gollums most important feature would be that people could use their web-browser and edit org-files. It might not be the most comfortable way of editing a org-file but a simple adding of a row into a table or rephrasing or adding a paragraph would be totally possible. It even might help to introduce people into using emacs and org-mode.

It would be really nice to have such an easy access to org-files. Even hard-core orgers might like the idea to e.g. access and lightly modify there org-files on-the-go via smartphones and tablets without running a full emacs session. (I am aware of Mobileorg ;) )

I got a bit into detail here to hopefully kick-off some discussions.

All the best

Torsten

[1] https://github.com/gollum/gollum
[2] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-ruby.html