Re: [O] proposal for a tool to translate orgmode outlines i nto programs

From: Isaac
Subject: Re: [O] proposal for a tool to translate orgmode outlines i nto programs
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 17:39:14 +0000 (UTC)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Isaac <isaacpei <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > proposal for a tool to translate orgmode outlines into programs
> >

> Hi Isaac,
>
> This is a hard problem and an area of active research.  Search for
> "program synthesis" [1] to see a selection of work in this field.
> Generally programs are built from descriptions in formal languages which
> are much more structured than Org-mode, although some have also tried to
> automatically write programs from man pages [2].
>
> Armando Solar-Lezama's work [3] is related if we are including code
> snippets in Org-mode code blocks, namely "program sketching" [4] which
> attempts to build programs from incomplete program-language sketches and
> test cases.
>
> Best,
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=program%20synthesis
>
> [2]  https://www.usenix.org/conference/hotosxiii/macho-programming-man-
pages

> [3]  http://people.csail.mit.edu/asolar/
>
> [4]  http://people.csail.mit.edu/asolar/papers/thesis.pdf

Thanks everybody for the references and knowledge of the parser!

related, I happen to see this today from coffeescript site, which is
somewhat related (orgmode export to markdown format) - and coffeescript
literate is can use markdown as codes -maybe it's a direction  ... (but
javascript!)

=====================
Literate CoffeeScript

Besides being used as an ordinary programming language, CoffeeScript may
also be written in "literate" mode. If you name your file with a  .litcoffee
extension, you can write it as a Markdown document — a document that also
happens to be executable CoffeeScript code. The compiler will treat any
indented blocks (Markdown's way of indicating source code) as code, and
ignore the rest as comments.

Just for kicks, a little bit of the compiler is currently implemented in
this fashion: See it as a document, raw, and properly highlighted in a text
editor.

I'm fairly excited about this direction for the language, and am looking
forward to writing (and more importantly, reading) more programs in this
style. More information about Literate CoffeeScript, including an example
program, are available in this blog post.
http://coffeescript.org/

best, Isaac