Re: [O] recurring events with different notes for each occurrence

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Re: [O] recurring events with different notes for each occurrence
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 13:49:00 +0300

Greetings Karl.

Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

> * Jarmo Hurri <address@hidden> wrote:
>> 2. I have some events that take place multiple times in a week. This is
>>    easy to accomplish:
>>
>>    * Learn something new about org-mode
>>      <2013-10-05 Sat 17:00-18:00 +1w>
>>      <2013-10-06 Sun 12:00-14:00 +1w>
>>
>>    However, I would also like to associate, with each of these
>>    timestamps, a different piece of text.
>
> Now, I create a recurring event (let's say Linux User Group):
>
> ** <2013-10-07 17:00-19:00 +4w> LUGG    @City
>
> Next, I invoke org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift and multiply the
> event for the next year or so. This gets me a copy of the event for
> each occurrence. Those distinct events I can delete, cancel, move,
> add notes to, and so forth.
>
> I like this much better than one heading for all occurrences.

That will do the work, but as a programmer I must say that I do not
really like this technique, since it involves copying the same
information to a large number of places. If I want to change information
common to all occurrences, I can of course do a replace-string, but
still...

In any case, thanks for the tip! I learned something new, and may have
to resort to using the approach anyway.

Jarmo