[O] [babel] Feature request - WAS: org babel before excute hook

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: [O] [babel] Feature request - WAS: org babel before excute hook
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 10:11:54 +0200

At the moment, I have the feeling that there is no solution to the
actual problem (avoiding duplicate :file names) without doctoring in an
unsatisfying (and potentially fragile?) way.

I would therefore formulate a feature request:

It is a common error to accidentally use the same :file name and to have
consequently the wrong file in the exported file.

I would therefore suggest a property with the following possible values:

,----
| file_unique
|
| - false :: the actual behaviour, i.e. consequtive :file overwrite the
| original ones *without* warning
| - true :: if more then one :file exist, an consecutive number is automatically
| to the :file and cached to avoid having leftover files (as in temp files)
| - warn :: give a warning on export, so that this error can be fixed
| manually.
`----

I would see this as a valuable addition to the export feature as it
avoids errors.

Cheers,

Rainer

Henning Redestig <address@hidden> writes:

> if anyone is interested in this, a simple defadvice appears to be a good
> option, I put
>
> (defadvice org-babel-execute-maybe (around org-babel-stop-on-collision)
>   "stop execution of result file defined more than once"
>   (let ((info (org-babel-get-src-block-info)))
>     (setq result-file (cdr (assoc :file (nth 2 info))))
>     (if (save-excursion
>           (goto-char 0)
>           (re-search-forward (concat ":file +" result-file) nil t)
>           (re-search-forward (concat ":file +" result-file) nil t))
>         (error (concat result-file " defined in more than one source
> block"))
>       ad-do-it)))
> (ad-activate 'org-babel-execute-maybe)
>

> in my .emacs and appear to get the desired functionality
>

> 2013/10/13 Samuel Wales <address@hidden>
>
>> In case it helps, there is org-confirm-babel-evaluate.
>>
>> (But I have not found it to be useful, because it does not seem to
>> place point in a place where you can check properties, etc.)
>>
>> Samuel
>>
>> --
>> The Kafka Pandemic: http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com
>>
>> The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can
>> get it.
>>
>> Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

--