Re: [O] org-grep, and problems

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: [O] org-grep, and problems
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 14:42:23 +0000 (UTC)

R. Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt <at> gmail.com> <michael.weylandt <at>
gmail.com> writes:

> On Oct 10, 2013, at 11:50, François Pinard <pinard <at> iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

> > P.S. What is proper English: "nobody remember" or "nobody remembers"?
> >

> Remembers. 'Nobody' counts as singular, as does 'no one'. English isn't
totally consistent on this
> matter, however, as 'none' takes a plural verb.
>
> No one is brave enough to skip the meeting, even though none of the bosses
are going to attend.

Actually, I think the latter clause is incorrect usage. The verb's subject is
"none," not "bosses"; since the subject is singular, the verb form should be
singular as well. It "feels wrong" to have a singular verb immediately after a
plural noun, but that noun properly belongs to the preposition, not the verb.

I'm voting for "none of the bosses is going to attend."

hjh