Re: [O] org-grep, and problems

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] org-grep, and problems
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:26:22 -0400

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:

> I can try debugging org-grep, but I don't know where I should start.

I would either step through org-grep (using C-u C-M-x first over any
line of the org-grep definition within org-grep.el, or add (message ...)
lines within the function before to later check the *Messages* buffer,
and after calling org-grep the normal way to trigger the trace, pay
special attention to the argument given to shell-command.

That command, repeated in a mere shell outside Emacs, should find hits
in your Org files.  If not, I would play with that command to see how it
should have been written to be successful, then amend org-grep so it
generates the proper command.

If everything that should be found gets found, then I'd suspect the code
after shell-command which reformats the output, and step through it to
find where it does it wrong.

The code is small, so the bug does not have much room to hide :-).

François