[O] Export org to dot for an organization chart?

From: Brett Viren
Subject: [O] Export org to dot for an organization chart?
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 15:12:15 -0400

Hi,

I'd like to produce an organization chart using org.  What I want to do
is:

 - enter an organization role as a section heading
 - have the heading hierarchy map to the organization hierarchy
 - enter optional section properties to specify:
   - the name of the individual who might fill the role
   - color and line types for drawing "the box" for the role
   - a URL associated with the role
 - section text providing a brief description of the role
 - render this into some "nice looking" graphic

The end result I'm going for is a clickable image on a web page made by
rendering the organization chart such that clicking on a box sends the
browser to the role-specific URL and the "alt" text for that link gives
the section text.

Is there already something along these lines?  Some searches turned up
empty

My thinking is that if there was an "org-export-as-dot" then it would be
close to what I want.

I found org-export-as-freemind which is in the right direction but I
think lacks some of what I want and I'd like to avoid using a GUI in the
process.

Thanks for any ideas on this.  If there is nothing like this yet, maybe
I can use it as an excuse to learn org's new export system.

-Brett.

PS: rough example org file might look like:

* Boss
:PROPERTIES:
:Actor: Bob Bigbooty
:NodeColor: blue